Monday 23 November 2009

Location Sketches, Nicosia














I have always loved drawing Nicosia from rooftops, and when I lived there I spent many exciting hours seeking out rooftops which would give me a panoramic view of this beautiful city, with its minarets, assorted church spires, and tiled rooves. Many flats there have flat rooves, and I wandered the streets seeking out buildings that might have the potential for a great view. I often entered unfamiliar buildings, climbed the narrow stairs to the top, and checked out the view. Then I would sit on the roof, amongst washing and pots of plants, and make my drawings or watercolours. All around I could hear the traffic, and voices below on the streets, and I loved being a silent observer. I always liked to find new viewpoints, and this quest was not without hazards. The closer you ventured towards the Green Line dividing the city, the more suspicious you might look if you were seen drawing from a rooftop. One time I asked to draw from the Delphi Hotel, which was not particularly near the Green Line, and the Manager was waiting to see my drawing as soon I came down from the roof. I never knew exactly what he thought I could see and draw from there, but he was extremely relieved when he saw the vagueness of my drawing, saying 'It's modern art, isn't it?'


I never ceased to be enthralled by the endless shades of gold and yellow walls, red tiled rooftops, the ever-changing blue of the distant Kyrenia mountains, and the swaying palms and Cypress trees. It's a theme that still inspires me, though now I can sit in the 6th floor cafe, in the Shacola Tower, and draw or paint from there . Now no one cares what I'm painting, except perhaps tourists.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha... Hahahaha, Hahahaha...

    Okay, okay, gimme a moment...

    Loved your title to your blog and I like your work.

    Thank you...

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the B&W's... I hazve started to paint again!!! Thanks for believing in me
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Fiona, I think your work is intuitive and light hearted. I enjoyed looking through. Thank you for your comment about my art as well. And don't hesitate to contact me, I am open to networking.
    Maxim Grunin.

    ReplyDelete