Tuesday 10 December 2013

New Directions

'Surfing on Paint,' acrylic on board, 60 x 45cm
On December 3rd, the group exhibition of SEE artists (South East England artists) opened at the Art Pull gallery, in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. I have a painting in the show, one that I felt represented me well. The Private View was packed with people and some had to stand outside on the pavement. My painting was displayed on a wall near the glass front of the gallery so it had good light, (important for my colours).

With lots of new paintings on the go, I have also just finished an application for a painting residency in the US next year. It is a wonderful chance to work for a month with other painters, and to have a large studio and the time (and quiet) to focus intensely on my  ideas. I feel that I could do so much in this kind of setting. I am also applying for two residencies in Scotland (a very beautiful environment). All these applications take a lot of time, and competition is very strong, but at this stage in my career I feel that I need a period of time for research.I would like to take these colour ideas (or what I term 'surfing on paint,') onto larger canvases, and see where they lead. I believe that my work is changing and I'm excited about the new direction!

No comments:

Post a Comment