Monday 7 December 2009

Missing Nicosia



On yet another deeply dreary, wet, and dark winter's day, I'm missing the vibrancy, sparkle and sunshine of Nicosia. At this moment I'd love to be reclining on this rooftop, listening to intermittent church bells from four Greek Orthodox churches tucked between golden slabs of concrete, and closing my eyes to follow the eerie but melodic prayers from the large mosque in the Turkish side. The blue mountains change colour like a kaleidoscope as the sun moves across the sky, while shadows flicker across the city like the uncertain brush of a painter. If I imagine really hard, I'm there, drinking my coffee on that roof and simply enjoying the fragrant, colour-infused atmosphere. A glance across the city takes in thousands of unknown lives, shielded behind curtains, shouting on the narrow streets, or watering plants on rooftops and watching me.

(Painting: 'Fiona Leaving Nicosia,' Oil on canvas)

6 comments:

  1. Fiona,

    I absolutely love this painting! Your work is so lush, vibrant and inspiring. I find myself looking forward to your next piece.

    Georgette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comments. It's a large painting, 120cm by 80cm, and oil on canvas. I'm glad you're enjoying this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas all! Thanks for providing this wonderful and inspirational Blog! Wishing you loads of JOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your colours!Your work is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this best of all your work- it's so alive!

    ReplyDelete