Friday 7 June 2019

How Important is an Artist's Statement? and Some Painting Ideas


This is something I wrote on Facebook today which I found quite helpful when thinking about the new series of work I'm about to start even though it relates to the above painting:
........................................................................................................

'MUCH OF MY ARTWORK explores the overlapping of meanings of things felt and seen and my reflections on them. Often I overlap landscape and still life elements to convey the sense that everything is connected and feelings are a fluid stream though may appear separate from moment to moment. This is why I chose to paint various elements and shapes as incidents across green (possible landscape reference), and some of the shapes are ambiguous but embedded in that green. 

It is also about my love of landscape, the scents, the sounds, the changing appearances from day to day but within an eternal cycle of seasons, our traces across the world and thoughts made concrete as shapes. Within that world are many overlapping words that co-exist. As I create, I am also Nature.
This was worked over and over until I found a title came in to my mind and that directed the end game.
'Daytime in a Jug,' acrylic and ink on canvas, 40 x 40 cm (2018)


.......................................................................................................................................................

I've always found it helpful to constantly evaluate what I'm doing as an artist and to reassess the elements I'm working with. The thing is to be open to changes and seeing new ways forwards. 


'Colourama,' oil on wood, 35 x 45 cm

For the rest of this post I'm attaching a few older works which I'm looking back to before starting this new work. Some elements I want to re-introduce back in to my painting are some looser forms, more exploration of colour, more simplicity, less total complexity running from edge to edge. I quite like the fluidity of being able to look back to older work and learn from it because I see it as widening the spiral of my creative process. I also like the coherence that working with thick oil paint can bring to a painting. Each of the paintings posted has something, some aspect, I want to keep in mind.

At the same time, I want to express my love of Nature and those reflections on life experiences while also using my natural tendency to calligraphy and drawing with a brush. My feelings flow down through the brush and often my spontaneous impulses with that brush can finish a painting.


'Escape From Winter,' oil on board, 60 x 45 cm

'My Place,' oil on canvas, 35 x 45 cm


'After the Long Hard Winter it was Time for a Picnic,' oil on board, 35 x 55 cm






No comments:

Post a Comment