Wednesday 3 July 2019

Packing my Painting for the 8th Beijing International Art Biennale

My husband helping with wrapping the canvas

For this post I'm including some photos of my large painting being packed for its long trip to China for the 8th Beijing International Art Biennale (125 countries). I always become quite anxious about this preparation process, worrying 'Will it all go smoothly?' 'Will the van come on time?' and 'Will my painting arrive undamaged?' 

The narrow box with canvas inside and the end section ready to screw on

I ordered the box about 3 weeks ago and this time I made it narrower than for previous Biennales because I wanted to have less space to pack with materials. It worked out better because all I had to do was bubble wrap the painting and attach strips of foam around the edges of the frame to stop any bumping during transit. The canvas then fitted perfectly. 

I always need to have stock of bubble wrap, foam padding and brown tape available for exhibitions.

The box with labels

It all does take a bit of time because I also had to stick labels on the box and write on it, just to be sure! You can't really see from this photo but the box is huge - around 175 cm high, 135 wide and 6.5 cm deep. It was very heavy to carry up the stairs and then it went in to the van.


I sighed with relief as the van drove off!


The collection was 5 days ago so it must be well on its way now. Here is a photo of the painting. I framed it in a wide, off cream frame.

'Walking Towards a Shared Future,' acrylic and oil on canvas, 120 x 160 cm,

The Biennale opens on August 29th at the National Art Museum in Beijing.

No comments:

Post a Comment