Tuesday 19 February 2013

Spring Energies!

'Paphos Glimpse,' oil and acrylic on canvas, 60 x 45cm

As I followed friends' posts on Facebook, I saw their 2013 albums start to bulge with lively new paintings. Finally, two weeks ago, I was able to get back to painting. Six new paintings emerged, with a clear division thematically. Cyprus sunlight still buzzes behind my eyelids, and prompted a series of paintings about light and colour. (Above is one of the two I have finished so far.) By contrast, the other paintings reflected the muted tones of a wet and grey winter environment. As I dwelled on my Winter Blues, I decided to paint them!
'Winter Blues,' oil and acrylic on board, 20 x 16ins
It's a real struggle currently, because some of my new paintings are pushing beyond certain parameters, and I'm finding it hard to judge them! But it's all good experience, and I'd rather end up destroying something than accept less than I want.

I never heard anything from the other two residencies I applied for, so I'm guessing I didn't impress the selectors. Like a painting that has 'gone wrong,' there's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment