Thursday 21 March 2013

Overlap

In front of some of my paintings.

As I watch the Enthronement of the new Archbishop of Canterbury on the television, I am immediately thrust back in time to when I was an art student at Canterbury College of Art (as it was then known). As you get older, past and present often seem to overlap.  I recall vividly how I used to go to listen to the Evensong at the Cathedral most evenings, and watched the boy choir as their bell-like notes soared to the arched world above us. Sitting in the pew, or at the other end of the cathedral, by the stained glass windows, I felt that I became part of that wonderful, uplifting sound. It often overlapped with my painting concerns, because colours can echo the movement of musical notes, and I always hope that my colours will be uplifting. 

'The Wind Threw the Bags into the Trees,' (2)  oil and acrylic on board, 45 x 30cm




No comments:

Post a Comment