Thursday 17 January 2019

Unfortunately Sometimes Other Things Get in the Way of Creativity!

'Landscape Poem,' acrylic and oil on canvas, 65 x 55 cm

I chose this painting to start my first post of 2019 because it relates to my delay in starting painting this year due to do other commitments. This painting is partly inspired by my small patio garden and also seems suggest a spilling over into landscape as an idea of the connectivity of all things. It is from a few years ago but has elements which I may take forward to themes I wish to explore this year.

Since the beginning of 2019 I have had to reduce the number of plants on my patio, partly due to certain plants becoming too big and needing to be put into the ground and partly due to not having so much time to maintain the garden (I plan to make more large paintings this year). I have been able to relocate some; my brother took some and the local park will take the large plants such as the Hydrangeas and Rose of Sharon and plants that need more root space. It's another kind of loss which has suggested a painting in my mind.

I have also done no painting this year because I have had to reorganize the entire flat due to paintings taking up a lot of floor space. On top of that, for some months I had put off the emotional job of clearing my late mother's bedroom. I felt totally unable to touch a single item in there; I would look in the door and become tearful. But I began by moving a few things before Christmas and yesterday I felt ready to tackle larger items. I know she would have been cheering me on because she would have liked the idea of her room being my studio.


'Fiona's World,' acrylic on canvas, 40 x 30 cm
My mother lived with us for 16 years so her presence is missed but suddenly I felt able to start to break the 'structures' her bedroom represented and to throw things. I have moved some shelving into her room and will be buying some large shelving units to store my canvases on. The positive aspect of this is that it will allow me to archive, label and assess work, and also organise the work I want to be ready for exhibitions. Shelving will also make better use of space! I will post photos of my new studio soon.

My new stretchers arrived yesterday while I was shifting furniture in Mum's bedroom. New work will be started next week and will be posted soon. 




View of my patio garden, summer 2016

I loved my garden with its wild abundance and random structures but hopefully I can keep the same vibe and dazzling colour with less work and my favourite flowering plants will be in bloom this summer. My Clematis especially are much loved and belonged to my late father.

Wishing you all a great New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment