Wednesday 19 December 2018

Excited Exhibitor at the SALON DES BEAUX ARTS, LOUVRE 2018!


Last week I was in Paris for the Private View of the Salon des Beaux Arts which was held at the Caroussel du Louvre. I was so happy to fly over to France to see my painting, 'Autumnal Seascape' (blue painting to my right) in this highly prestigious annual exhibition. As I flew down across pretty fields and houses, I kept thinking of my mother who lived in Paris for a year while studying the piano at the Paris music school. She loved living in Paris but sadly did not live to see my painting selected for this exhibition - she died in February. I felt rather sad that she did not know that currently I had work both in Paris and China.


My painting is the blue one, second row down, fourth canvas along from left

A crowded Private View
I was selected by an international curator, Lena Kelekian, for her collective exhibition within the Salon exhibition and we had a large wall for 48 paintings by artists from 37 countries. The exhibition was from 13th to 16th December and was held in the lovely area below the pyramid and next to the beautiful underground shopping area.


One of the entrances to the Louvre

I arrived early in Paris on the 13th December, having flown to Charles de Gaulle airport and taken the train to Chatelet Les Halles. I had thoroughly researched the journey in the preceding days and it was not especially simple but for the future I will know what to do! Most difficult was finding my way up from the station below the shopping mall at Chatelet Les Halles and out onto the correct street! Then it was a short walk to my hotel, shorter than the map conveyed.  My little hotel was less than 5 minutes walk from the huge buildings of the Louvre, and surrounded by many gorgeous cafes and restaurants. 


Catalogues

For this post I am going to attach just a few photos of the event and of Paris. The Private View was a case of bumper to bumper elbows and there was a grand piano in the centre of the largest room (where my painting was) with a changing pianist all evening. There were many artworks and I'm going to write a review of the exhibition which was incredibly varied in style and theme. Personally, The sculptures impressed me the most with such innovation and creativity though I spoke with several painters and there were many paintings to admire.

The above photo shows the two catalogues my painting was reproduced in. On the left is the catalogue of my collective, Meadows, with my artist page, and on the right is the official Salon catalogue. 


Selfie with the pyramid behind
It was a long time since I had been to Paris and I simply loved being there! I would have liked to stay longer than 2 days but commitments meant I could not. I spent time on the second day back in the exhibition meeting artists and taking photos, and also had a chance to walk around a little in the surrounding area. I was lucky in that the weather was sunny both days but it was also icy!


The Eiffel Tower in the distance at dusk


Under the pyramid!


The shopping area near the exhibition rooms

No comments:

Post a Comment