Friday 10 December 2021

Moon Paintings

For this post I'm including a few paintings inspired by the moon. I began painting this theme during lockdown. At the time I didn't realise why the moon had become so important to me, it seemed to be on my mind because I was walking late at night. Then I reflected on the theme and I felt that the moon is suggestive of eternity and the continuance of normality during the difficult time of Covid-19. It became a symbol of optimism and the change back to normality. The above painting is called 'Moon Lake,' and it is acrylic on canvas, 29 by 43 cm. As I painted, there appeared a dark lake and suggestions of water and a moon above. This painting went through quite a few changes. I left it for a month but it called for more work and I finished it with thicker paint, feeling my way through emerging shapes and colours. When a painting calls for more work I usually pay attention. I've destroyed a few paintings by pushing too far but with this one I was glad I searched further.
The above painting is called 'Rings Around the Moon,' (acrylic on canvas, 25 x 20 cm). It evolved completely from laying down paint and allowing a scene to emerge.
'Moonscape,' (acrylic on canvas, 29 x 43 cm) also evolved from the paint and laying down stains and marks. It went through quite a few changes and gradually suggested to me a rising moon over an autumnal landscape.
This final painting is not so much about the moon but suggests that last warm light of dusk just before the moon appears. Though I was going to work further, I decided I liked the simplicity of the image and its suggestiveness. 'Dusk,' acrylic on canvas, 20 x 25 cm.

No comments:

Post a Comment